Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Gift of Giving...

To me, the greatest part of the holidays is finding the perfect gift and perfect way to say "You are a special part of my life." (Well...and decorating, as I do love that so very much!) Often I find myself is such a funk about the perfect present. I stress about it, I shop for hours, I look online at outrageous websites, all in hopes of sparking the perfect present idea! Sometimes this works like magic, and well....other times it doesn't and I find myself on Christmas Eve scrambling to find something...anything...that might be suitable.


This year I have outdone myself! While I have only done less than a eighth of my Christmas shopping, I feel incredibly successful! So much so, that I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of Christmas in order to share my (or what I consider) amazing gifts! I can't remember the last time I had this feeling...the feeling of pure ecstacy at the thought of wrapping and then delivering these amazing tokens of my affection. What are these wonderful gifts? Well, that will have to wait a mere 31 more days to be revealed!


As with the Christmas season of giving, comes the desire to give of your time and effort to your family during Thanksgiving. As we draw nearer and nearer to chowing down on mom's scrumptous turkey, I can't help but take a minute and appreciate everything that 2009 has brought for me.


While it hasn't all been a walk in the park (i.e. fights, friendships ending, many tears cried, friends being sent overseas, etc.), the year has a whole has been one that has begun to lead me in the right direction, this year has certainly been one for the record books.
Just a few things that 2009 has brought: 


  • the marriage of one of my bestest friends, Rhianna
  • an engagement of another fantastically close friend, Cappy
  • learning how near and dear Destin is to my heart
  • starting a life with the man I will one day marry
  • the coolest beagle puppy around
  • saving one of the most beautiful kittens and giving her quite possibly the most brilliant cat name ever created!
  • becoming better and stronger in my career field, though learning I won't be in this field for many more years
  • Most importantly, enjoying my life and not allowing anyone to take advantage of the kindness that I contain in my heart
So with that said, my holiday season continued in full force today! Ruckus and I went to the parents house to play with Banjo! After a full afternoon of playing, Ruckus passed out on the ride home! Trey and I could not have done a better job selecting her. She really is a truly wonderful puppy. Not only does she have beautiful markings, but she will melt your heart in an instant. She is the only dog I have ever seen my mother crawl across the floor to play with. Or my father get down on the floor and give her a million treats in hopes she would sit in his lap. I have waited for a dog like her to touch my heart ever since Pepper died, and now I am so thankful to have found her. 


Grandpa and Ellie (the new wife) are in town. This is always a delight....sometimes I wish there were an "emoticon" to display sarcasm, because that is precisely what I feel about their situation. Never in my life have I felt more meaningless to my grandfather than in the last year and a half since my grandmother died. I have tried to reach out and reconnect with him several times this year and each time it is met with little to no enthusiasm, so I am done. It pains me  deeper than perhaps losing my grandmother did to say, or even think that, but feeling like I am uncared for is perhaps the worst experience I have ever dealt with. So with that, I can only give so much effort with no response, and that effort is quickly dwindling. 


On a positive note, with today being Thanksgiving, that means "lots of DELICIOUS SCRUMPTOUS food" and "the final holiday before CHRISTMAS!" This Thanksgiving will be easily the most busy one ever....seems to be how all of my holidays are turning out since both families live in northern Georgia. It started off with a visit from one of Trey's rugby friends Andrew. His family lives in Alpharetta as well, so when he is in town, he always stops by to pay us a visit! And well, we don't argue as we enjoy company! His visit contained a warm mug of hot chocolate, lots of rugby talk, and quite a show as he and Trey battled in Wii Resort! Truly a relaxing way to start off a Thanksgiving holiday that proves to be busy and yet, relaxing!


With that said, Happy Thanksgiving to all! And may you enjoy all the Black Friday deals...I know my mother and I will!

1 comment:

  1. I have that picture of us framed in my room!!...in the frame you made me for Christmas in 2005! So long ago...

    I love you; I'm glad we talked today.

    ReplyDelete